We’ve verified another African American Civil War veteran in Evergreen Cemetery, Pvt. William H. Payne of Company D, 117th Regiment, U. S. Colored Infantry. Born in Richmond, Virginia, William enlisted at the age of 22 on April 8, 1865, five days after the city fell to Union forces. He mustered out on August 10, 1867, at Brownsville, Texas. William passed away on November 18, 1911, and was interred in Evergreen Cemetery on November 20, 1911. I’ll know a bit more about him once I finish reviewing his pension file.
(Originally posted on The Historic Oak Lawn Cemetery Foundation)
Private Moses Randall – Company A, 38th Regiment, U. S. Colored Infantry
- Born about 1832, Nansemond County, Virginia
- Enlistment: January 5, 1864, Norfolk, Virginia
- Muster: January 23, 1864, Norfolk, Virginia
- Discharge: January 25, 1867, Indianola, Texas
- Spouse: Ann Eliza Randall